Thursday, November 20, 2008

Back from the Brink

I don't know if you noticed, but we changed the blog title today.  It's no reflection of a change of content or purpose -- simply put, after malaria, this trip feels less like a whimsical reverie and more like a serious undertaking.

But now, five days after my first symptoms of malaria, I feel like a real person again. I ate my first food today, and sat upright for more than five minutes without feeling dizzy or nauseated, and managed NOT to be bedridden!  What a success!

We got great news this morning too, that new computer chargers would be coming back with Seba on Sunday or Monday, along with some new pieces of equipment to unbootleggify our current electrical setup here.  If you've been keeping up with the photos, you'll notice our own little endearing fire hazard -- all of our equipment plugged into a single power strip that is battered and broken, which is in turn plugged into a current stabilizer from 1975, which (not pictured) is connected to electricity through wires and bands of plastic bag, the wire that then frays, reconnects, frays again and zizzles across the ceiling and outside to the generator.
It's a wonder, I guess, that our chargers lasted this long at all.

There is so much to write about, and so little battery power and energy to write it. I suppose I'll wait until I have my own computer back, and I can organize my thoughts properly on a PROPER OS.  Adam's Windows abomination secretly downloaded some update or another without telling me or asking me and used up HALF of our bandwidth for this month!! Infuriating! I only hope that we'll still be able to upload our photos from the Yoko Forest trip.

Adam got a leg infection like Cleve's, so between the two of us we're a sickie and a cripple, but both improving steadily and our spirits are bright and cheery. The rainy season is finally ending and the sun feels bright and shiny. (and super hot). Aketi (aka Little Mister Mess Mess) has been a fun addition to the family, although his additions of poops we could live without, and sleeping on the floor so that he'll fall asleep gets tired fast.

But I'll save specifics for another post - with luck, Seba will be back from Kisangani on Sunday and we'll be back in business on Monday, full of stories and photos!

See you then!

3 comments:

Brian said...

Don't tell me in the middle of the DRC after Malaria you're still caught up on the whole mac/pc OS debate! At least we can take your fervent hatred of the pc as some indication of your healthiness.
Chrissy and I send our best wishes.

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like the blog.
It is beautiful.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from Portugal

Blogger said...

Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's Top Social Trading Network!!!

Join 1,000,000's who have already discovered easier strategies for investing in Ripple.

Learn from established eToro traders or copy their positions automatically