Thursday, February 19, 2009

Field Journal - Day Seven

Difongo
N03º28.754’
E024º17.699’

Portions of this entry have been excised to be inserted at a later date

I don’t know what it is about our presence in Congolese forests that inspires it to rain so much, but poor Mortimer (our tent) is certainly getting a workout!

Today, once it stops raining, I’ll send Richard and Seba out to verify a population of chimps about 5km from here.

I’ve still seen and documented plenty for a compelling thesis, I think.

Life out here is no cakewalk, certainly. The entire village here has the same cold with a dry, hacking cough. They looked to us for medicine, but we’d only brought malaria and worm medicine!

And some pseudo-Vicks chest rub, regrettably ineffectual, but we gave it to them nonetheless.

Olivier has malaria now, but continues to cook for us, wrapped in my wool shawl.

It’s been a week now since I left Aketi! Time has gone so fast!

No comments: