After having received another boon of support from Kinshasa, we are ready to go. On literal countdown mode, all that remains now is boarding the plane and getting the chimps far away from here.
For reasons of security, we aren’t listing our air carrier or our departure date -- it’s a sad reflection of the situation here that even with government support, and all of the legal documents, that our best weapon is still the element of surprise.
We’re feeling extremely excited by the expected success of the project, though. No one could have anticipated the delay of these chimpanzees’ original sanctuary, but it feels good to know that they will have a safe place to go after all.
After we arrive in Bukavu, we’ll post the entries about the real struggle we had here!
Right now, however, the safety of the chimps is paramount.
And please, if you are able, Lwiro, the destination of our Aketi Five, can always use donations --
Thank you again to everyone following our journey!