Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Didn't Know It Could Be This Good

Okay, so I left Aketi this morning intent on changing our lots. It’s easy to be bullied when you can only say I have authorization from the government to move these chimps!

But the transfer papers were FIFTEEN MEGABYTES. For those not in the know, that’s a little less than a sixth of the total bandwidth I have... for the MONTH.

Plus, there isn’t a single printer in Aketi. Not a single one.

Not particularly fond of long motorcycle rides, I was originally intending on sending Adam to Buta, about 150km away, to download and print out our documents and bring them back to Aketi.

But, he’s too sick. So here I went, traveling 5 hours on the back of a motorcycle through the mud to use the internet.

Arriving at Mama Gaudin’s house was heavenly - I couldn’t believe how long it had been since our arrival there in OCTOBER - until I saw her son, Jojo, who has grown LEAPS and BOUNDS!

She’d made up my room, and put fresh sheets on the bed and a festive green tablecloth on the table.

Had I only known yesterday was St. Patrick’s Day!

I’m now in the Catholic Mission’s Cybercafé, where I can actually look at photos, chat online. It closes at 4 though! Damn!

I’ll head over to the OTHER internet café afterwards -- and try to continue downloading this huge file.

I’m so overwhelmed by all this internet, I don’t even know what to say!

No comments: