Friday, April 8, 2011

Happy 70th Birthday to My Mom!

My mom, in her natural habitat, knitting before my wedding.
©CKGillette
A lot of people laughed when I acknowledged "The Carol Gould Foundation for Overambitious Daughters" during my first scientific presentation at a conference last year. But I would not have been able to complete that research, or any research, without the support of my mother.  When I was in Congo the last time, within the first two months, our generator died, our motorbike died, and between those expenses and some others equally unforeseen, the money that I had raised for the trip was nearly gone, leaving us destitute in Congo with four baby chimps to feed, staff to pay, and research to complete and many more months left to go!

My mom bailed me out, saving not only me, but all of the people who were dependent on me! She's a generous spirit, a wonderful person, and deserves nothing but happiness and cake today!

Please share with me today a celebratory huzzah for this woman who saves chimpanzees by proxy! Without her I don't know where I'd be!

1 comment:

Greg Sanders said...

Belated happy birthday to her!